5 Strange Things Real Estate Agents Have Seen During An Open House.
Chances are you’ve showed up to an open house before and everything was clean, decor was neatly arranged and you had a pleasant time. Sometimes things can get a little out of hand though. Below you’ll find 5 real estate agents and their most bizarre moments during an open house.
1. “One of my agents and I were out with buyers showing them a number of investment properties in my previous market of Sarasota, Florida. Upon entering one 'handyman special,' we were greeted by animal bones and odd markings. Once we got to the living room, we discovered that someone had broken into the home and performed voodoo ceremonies — complete with altar, stones, voodoo dolls, and more bones. Needless to say, the buyer passed on that particular investment." — Bret Calltharp (Source: http://www.huffingtonpost.ca/2014/12/24/weird-open-houses_n_6373926.html)
2. “A drying rack full of underwear in the living room.” - Douglas Heddings (Source: https://therealdeal.com/2010/01/07/agents-see-the-strangest-things-at-open-houses-1/)
3. “I had an open house in my building and a neighbor who was not looking to move told me her dog wanted to [purchase] the apartment so she brought him. She walked him through the apartment while I stood there stunned and unable to speak”. - Rena Goldstein (Source: https://therealdeal.com/2010/01/07/agents-see-the-strangest-things-at-open-houses-1/)
4. “I was hosting a busy open house, and the home was vacant, which meant the utilities had been turned off, including the water. About half-way through the open house I hear a mother shriek from the hall bathroom. She had allowed her son to use the restroom, and this 5-year-old laid a load that a buffalo would have been proud of—in a nonworking toilet! The mother was mortified and they ran off as quickly as they could. Thankfully, the neighbors had a bucket on the side of the house, which I filled with water and used to fill the tank on the toilet. It flushed just fine and all was well.” – Morgan Franklin (Source: http://www.realtor.com/advice/sell/open-house-horror-stories/)
5. I went to preview a new listing, million dollar property. Every room was pink; floors, walls, furniture - only the ceilings were white. Every room contained life-sized "Chucky" dolls! Boy dolls, girl dolls - all hair colors, different outfits. There were also baby “Chuckies", toddler “Chuckies", all with that evil "Chucky" face. Give me cockroaches and mice any day! Unknown (Source: http://www.city-data.com/forum/real-estate-professionals/1688636-odd-things-youve-seen-while-showing.html)